Data Subject Access Request (DSAR) Response Service
Individuals (known as ‘data subjects’) have the right to know that their personal data is being processed by your organisation, and may make a request to access a copy of this personal data in the form of a Data Subject Access Request (DSAR). Depending on the nature of processing and time period over which the data has been collected, DSAR responses may include a handful of pages, or many thousands of pages.
Our outsourced DSAR service helps you to recognise, handle, and respond to DSAR requests effectively, appropriately and within the strict response timeframe.
Find out how we can help your organisation today.
Why you should outsource your DSARs
Whether you receive DSARs occasionally or regularly, our team provide you with end-to-end support on a ‘pay-as-you-go’ basis, to ensure that all requests are dealt with quickly and effectively. Even the most complex DSARs can be completed with relative ease, within the designated statutory time period and requiring only the minimum level of client input.
Our outsourced DSAR service is ideal for organisations that :
- Receive only occasional requests so may lack the knowledge and experience to respond effectively
- Wish to address peaks in DSAR demand by adding additional ad-hoc resource to an existing in-house team
- Require expert guidance on how to narrow down the scope of a DSAR response
- Wish to outsource the entire process, including daily management of your DSAR email inbox
- Receive HR and senior management related DSARs, so require the level of confidentiality provided by an external provider
Given that the service is provided on a ‘pay as you go’ basis, there are no long-term financial or contractual commitments.
DSAR Response as a Service
Responding to DSARs may seem straightforward, however many complex questions can arise when collating the response, including:
- Where should you search for the requested information and how should you collate it?
- How should you handle time-consuming requests or DSARs submitted on behalf of someone else?
- What should you do if the requested records contain the personal data of a third party in addition to the data subject?
- How do you identify privileged information, or information that falls under one of the other legal exemptions?
Responding to DSARs can become complex quickly, occupying your valuable time and resources and creating additional risk for your organisation if the response requirements are not fully met. However, when you outsource your responses to The DPO Centre’s DSAR team, our experts will provide the experience, knowledge, and tools required to respond to these requests quickly, removing the resource burden, providing you with peace of mind and ensuring response deadlines are met.
“The DPO Centre’s help in dealing with a particularly complex DSAR that we received was invaluable. The support and advice that they provided throughout the entire process was extremely helpful… Overall, working with The DPO Centre greatly reduced the significant challenge of dealing with this DSAR, and the guidance provided will no doubt prove useful in dealing with any others that we may receive in the future.”
HOW DOES OUR DSAR SERVICE WORK?
We offer a DSAR service that is delivered on an ad hoc ‘pay as you go’ basis, where you outsource all, some, or just occasional DSARs to us as required. We can take care of the full ‘A-Z’ of the DSAR response process, provide just an advisory and oversight service, or deliver only certain aspects of the response process, such as redaction.
- Enable you to respond appropriately and in a timely manner
- Remove the burden and distraction associated with DSAR responses
- Significantly reduce the risk of compliance failure and Regulator scrutiny
- Assist in improving data subject trust and de-escalating contentious situations
- Provide model template responses for communicating with data subjects
- Provide guidance around scope defining and conducting database searches
- Conduct full de-scoping and redaction exercises
- Complete delivery of response to data subjects
- Handle all correspondence with the relevant supervisory authority
- Immediate access to external Subject Matter Experts on an entirely confidential basis
- Peace of mind that you are working with one of the largest, most established data protection providers available
- Removal of the distractions and costs associated with training and managing internal resources to respond
- Implementation of established and verified response processes and standards
- Substantial reduction in regulatory and reputational risk
By engaging with our DSAR response service, you will have the peace of mind that an expert team is there to support you. If you would like to know more about how we can help, please contact us in complete confidence, using the form below.
Benefits of Outsourcing your dsars
Allowing The DPO Centre team to process your DSAR responses can save you the inconvenience of needing to redirect internal resources to deal with these requests. Our DSAR service is ideal for organisations that receive only occasional DSAR requests, those that are struggling to comply with the required response timeframes, or are at high risk of regulator scrutiny due to previous infringements. Our DSAR service will also be of benefit if you are expecting an increase in the number of requests due to HR matters, or you are seeking an “overflow” resource for your in-house team.
Data Subject Access Requests for Sectors
Every sector that collects and processes personal data is subject to the requirement to respond to DSAR requests. However, the nature of requests vary based on your particular sector. The DPO Centre can provide a specialist in your sector, with the relevant experience and knowledge to handle the DSARs your organisation receives.
Egress Software Technologies Ltd
“We’re in such a strong position with our GDPR compliance thanks to the DPO Centre. For us GDPR compliance is not only a matter of legality, it’s imperative for business continuity and development.”
Fill in your details below and we’ll get back to you with 24 Hours
Frequently Asked Questions
We’ve compiled a series of FAQs below but if you can’t find the answer here please contact us to find out more.
A Data Subject Access Request (DSAR) is a request from an individual asking for a copy of the personal data that you have stored relating to them. A DSAR can come from anyone, including an employee, customer, client, supplier, job applicant etc.
There is no specific form for submitting Data Subject Access Requests (DSARs). Data subjects can submit them in writing (via letter, email, or even via social media) or verbally, and do not need to cite any specific data protection legislation. They may simply ask to see “all the data you hold” on them, or may even cite the Freedom of Information Act 2000.
On receipt of a request, you must validate the requestor, before searching your databases, both electronic and hard copy databases, and providing the individual with a copy of their data in an easily readable format. If the files recovered from the searches contain the personal data of third parties, or other information that is unable to be disclosed, you must consider whether any legal exemptions can apply, and redact the files accordingly before sharing them with the data subject.
Your company should have a Data Protection Policy that outlines how to handle DSARs. If you do not have such a policy, you should consider devising one.
You have one calendar month to respond to a DSAR, starting from the date you receive it. However, if you need to seek clarification about the request from the data subject, or need to validate the requestor, the clock will stop until you receive the information required.
If the request is particularly complex, you are able to extend the deadline for responding by a further two months.
The cost of an outsourced DSAR service will depend on your organisation’s needs. With The DPO Centre, you can choose only the specific services you require, and pay as you go.